Wednesday 13 May 2009

Illustration Friday "Parade"

"Sun Loong and thanks for the memories "

Every Easter, Bendigo (the town where I live) brings out Sun Loong, the longest Imperial Chinese Dragon in the World, for the annual parade.

During the Easter School holidays I ran 2 workshops where the kids and I drew a cartoon version of the Dragon. It was a great experience for me and it was awesome to see so many youngsters interested in drawing. We built the image step by step to end up with the sketch you see below.

I thought it would make a good subject for this weeks IF. So I went and coloured him up. He's a little bit rushed, but it was all I had time for.

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful and happy, Chris! Brilliant work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome piece! It represents perfectly the happiness and colorfulness of parades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beaut! Lovely colourful illustration, and nice history to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, this is just awesome. Really beautiful work. Love your 'hierarchy' illustration as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun and a lovely use of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Chinese dragon! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great colors and nice expression!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful!! I like your bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work! I love the details and colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply stunning...I love the colors and patterns! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely color choices here! really fits the theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the colors here!! very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fireworks and colors have made this come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man!!!
    Those are wonderful!!!!

    Amazing blog!
    I liked your colors, and style!!!

    congratulation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great illo,love the idea and the colours

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy your work, Chris. I'll be checking out your blog on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Chris! I've been very busy... I hadn't passed for here in some time. Your Chinese dragon is greeeeeat, I love the colors and the first sketch (this week I only have time to put an sketch, ooh....).
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admire your style
    very good
    I liked

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.